Sunday, June 25, 2017

Human Trafficking Press Conference

February 15, 2010 by
Filed under Human Trafficking Press Conference, Latest News

I had the great honor of moderating a press conference on Scientology’s abuse of staff and Sea Org members.  The event was held in the Steve Allen Theater at the CFI-West and was widely attended by local and international media.  We had six terrific speakers whose stories are heartbreaking and in many instances horrifying.

My introductory comments and speaker Marc Headley:

YouTube Preview Image YouTube Preview Image

Jeff Hawkins:

YouTube Preview Image YouTube Preview Image

Laura Decrescenzo:

YouTube Preview Image YouTube Preview Image

Will Fry:

Maureen Bolstad:

YouTube Preview Image YouTube Preview Image

Nancy Many:

YouTube Preview Image YouTube Preview Image YouTube Preview Image

There are two Q & A segments yet to come.  I ended by reading letters from two mothers whose daughters have disconnected from them.   The first is to Mandy Kember from her mother Susan Talbot.

The second letter is to Kate Olson from her mother Susan Lentsch:

Many thanks to ScilonTV for streaming the event live and preparing these HD clips for YouTube.

And here’s the local media coverage of the event.  There are five videos here from L.A. stations.  They will play back-to-back or you can skip from report to report when the videos start:

Catholic Online also wrote a brief article about the press conference.  You can read it here.  It is a pretty straightforward article…which brought a response from Tommy Davis that is so over-the-top it could only be coming from Scientology:

“Your February 15 piece is offensive. Your clear intention is to forward an anti-religious agenda that has nothing to do with conveying the truth. To forward on a Catholic site the vicious and false allegations of disgruntled ex-members of any religion is the epitome of hypocrisy. No constructive purpose is served whatsoever, and you are in fact promoting religious hatred and violence. Your entire article is so un-Christian, it boggles the mind!

“In our last conversation I noted that it is the firm belief of the Church of Scientology that only by all religions working together to assist mankind do we hold any hope for Man´s salvation. Your support of antireligionists and hatemongers evidences that you find some benefit in railing against and defaming a religion you know nothing about. By your own admission, you have never visited one of our churches, despite a longstanding open invitation. This, sir, is most definitely the antithesis of brotherly love. I hope that you may one day find it in yourself to be more tolerant and truthful in your actions, a duty which you are meant to uphold, not only as a Catholic but as a journalist.

“You appear to be acting as the publicist for the hate group Anonymous and the ex-Scientologists you cite. Your benign identification of Anonymous as an “Internet-based group” is tantamount to calling the KKK a “community-based group,” without mentioning their history of white sheets, burning crosses, lynchings, violence and hatemongering against blacks, Jews and Catholics. (N.B. The analogy is not only inflammatory but inaccurate. To the writer and editor of the article to which Mr. Davis objects and in their own self description, “Anonymous” IS an “internet-based group.”)

“……The “press conference” you report was not a press conference at all, but a shameless and transparent effort by plaintiffs involved in a lawsuit against the Church to flank a frivolous legal action. Your obvious disappointment that, as you state, “reporters preferred to focus more attention on the two lawsuits and the work of Anonymous” than on the speakers´ stories, tells the tale; the performances from the stage were transparently coached and rehearsed to prop up the legal case. One member of the media left irate a few minutes into the show, remarking that “I was tricked—I thought I was coming to a news conference, not a deposition.”

Speaking of un-Christian, Tommy, why does Scientology promote itself as compatible with Christianity when their beliefs in reincarnation go against the very concept of dying and going to heaven or hell?  Not to mention the troubling fact that L. Ron Hubbard himself said there was no Christ and that the whole Christ story was some madmen stumbling upon some of Hubbard’s tech 2000 years ago.

Listen to Hubbard say so in his own words.

Of course, pointing out that fact makes me the religious bigot, not Hubbard, according to Tommy Davis.

Comments

74 Responses to “Human Trafficking Press Conference”

Anonymous says: Yes indeed you have enlightened me. In spite of my disdain for ALL cults, I admire your fervor. I read your comments with awe… I kid you not:-) My sister is a wonderful person, in spite of her continued adherence to Co$. I just do not accept the ‘information’ from these cults as true, so I treat its ‘source’ with suspicion… especially after having been ‘disgruntled’ with both Christianity and Scientology.

2. shane says:

@anonymous says:-
    Thanks for your comment.
    Yes. As long as the govt. or those looking into scietology focus on the tenets of systematic and illegal abuse within this group, then people won’t get sidetracked by the religion angle.
    It is sad that this forum is getting sidetracked into religious debates about christianity and islam etc. There is your loss of focus once again.

True enough… I told you I was a fool…:-)

4. gerryphilly53 says:

@shane: “As long as the govt. or those looking into scietology focus on the tenets of systematic and illegal abuse within this group, then people won’t get sidetracked by the religion angle.” I agree – Scientology uses its claim of being a religion as a smokescreen to divert people from looking too closely at its actions. This is related to its attempts to vilify critics like those who came forward at the news conference. Whenever someone (in this case Scientology) adamantly asserts “Move along. Nothing to see here.”, that is the time to look closely at what they are trying to hide.

5. gerryphilly53 says:

@marcehole – I hear your pain and based on what you’ve written I think I understand your position. I think that what the Knight of Anonymous and I are trying to say is that there is a rational and positive way of discerning accurately what constitutes “true love, compassion and productivity”. Moving the argument away from the hot button of religion, Plato and Aristotle held that there are absolutes (Truth, Beauty, Justice, Right), that the mind can conceive of them and that it is our duty to seek to align our lives to the pursuit of these. The actions of Scientology toward its Sea Org members and doubters certainly appear to violate Justice and Right and show little regard for the innate rights of individuals to be treated humanely. At the same time, while we are carrying on this struggle for truth to be disclosed we must remember that there are people in the CO$ who can be awakened and freed, even people who may have done bad things in the past. If I may presume to speculate, I think this is why WBM does not condemn Rathburn and Rinder for their actions while in the CO$. We must be better than the CO$ in our treatment of people, condemning evil actions but always willing to forgive and welcome refugees from the CO$.

6. ReggyGDI says:

It grate that theses people came out and talked about there time in Scientology. And, hopefully, more people will see just how bad things are inside the seaorge. Keep up the good work and stick together in the following days. And what dos Tommy have that thesis people are lying? Nothing. He has not a thing. And that is what people should ask him.

Here’s some simple math:
    Scientology + money + Religion Status = Enslavement
    Sea Org + Scientology = Child Labor
    People – Common Sense = Scientologists
    Asshole + jerk + quack + racist = L. Ron Hubbard
    Jerk + midget + asshole = David Miscavage
    Moron + Dumb ass = Tom Cruise
    Twerp + Idiot = Tommy Davis
    Brain washing + Hypnosis = Scientology
    Xenu + Phone = Xenophon
    Bitch + Idiot = Kristie Alley
    Moron + Clueless = John Travolta
    Nonsense + Idiots = Opperating Thetans

8. mbm says:

Man who crashed plane into IRS building in Austin, TX a Scilon?

9. Prime Chaos says:

The amount of truth i have discovered about Scientology on this site and other similar ones is incredible. I hate and detest cowards such as Scientologists. Using force, bribes, and corruption to manipulate the people into following there insane beliefs. They are comparable to Nazi’s. I Prime Chaos hereby declare my support for Mark Bunker, Tory Magoo, Anonymous, and all others who are against Scientology.

A few years back in High School my first block teacher wanted to know what we would do in the future. Myself, i wanted to be an archeologist. So far i have begun inching towards that goal. However, the first person to choose what they wanted to be was shocking. She wanted to be a Scientologist! I implored her to look into what Scientology has done and what it will do to those against them. I failed…or so i thought. Just last week the same girl called me and told me she was sick of the lies that the Cult of Scientology used to control her.

I have not heard from her since then. Before she hung up she told me she wanted to see her parents and talk with them. I owe my thanks in part to XenuTV and Anonymous. Thank you. So says Prime Chaos.

10. mbm says:

Priscilla Presley is on Larry King Live tonight. poon her when Larry King takes calls…

This is great! The more ex-Scientologists there are, the more ex-Scientologists there will be!… Better than perpetual motion…:-)

Especially when they actually talk… like this fab 6….

To quote Emperor Palpitine: “All is going as I have forseen.”
    Remember what I said about people leaving Scientology in one of these forums?
    It’s happening:)

14. Jeff says:

“I hope that you may one day find it in yourself to be more tolerant and truthful in your actions”

coming from Tommy Davis … hear, hear

*no further comment needed!*

15. Tom not Newton says:

coming from Tommy Davis …

… what sweet irony!

16. winterland says:

“Speaking of un-Christian, Tommy, why does Scientology promote itself as compatible with Christianity when their beliefs in reincarnation go against the very concept of dying and going to heaven or hell?”

That is such a good question. Also, why do they use the symbol of the cross at all? If their so-called religious philosophy is as unique as they claim it is, why utilize a symbol so strongly associated with an entirely different set of beliefs, then get offended when people ask for clarification about what their beliefs actually are? Like the ABC interview that TD walked out on.

CO$ seems to want to use the well known symbol of the cross to give themselves a pseudo christian identity for the larger purpose of appearing to be an actual church. Why can’t they just let their own concepts stand on their own if they believe in them so much? Even their use of the terms clergy, parishoners, and volunteer ministers seems like an attempt to sort of co-opt christianity when they aren’t a christian organization. It is intentionally misleading and troubling, especially within the context of their presence in Haiti. No one likes deception, lies, and fraud and the last thing the people of Haiti need is to be taken advantage of.

Hopefully the press will continue to shine a light on this group and they will someday be unable to dupe vulnerable people anywhere.

17. DYG says:

Greetings,

I’m a blogger who has researched extensively human rights abuses. I don’t know much about Scientology, but I can say for certain that stories told by former members sound remarkably similar to those souls forced to work in sweatshops in the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands. The use of child labor, the confiscation of passports, forced abortions are all common themes.

My interest has been piqued in the debt bondage angle. I understand there is some kind of “freeloader bill” issued to those who leave before their contract is expired. Can anyone provide some good links on this subject?

18. Ann O'Nymous says:

Just to let you know that translation work is finished in French – subtitling started – and largely underway in German and Spanish.

19. Ann O'Nymous says:

Videos subtitled in French: http://www.youtube.com/user/anonymousmontreal
    Subtitling started in Spanish and German.

20. exponerejustice says:

HERE’S SOME SPECUALTION:

-Scientology uses harassment techniques. They are very proud of their ability to put someone into effect, make them commit suicide, get in car accidents, get into domestic violence situations, and get into whatever it takes to destroy them!!!

-Rex Fowler’s son was in the Sea Org. If Rex doesn’t do what the Church of Scientology says, they will get his son a passport and send him to a Scientology Base in another country – wherever, and hold his passport – keep him as a prisoner, until Rex becomes submissive to their request!! The request could be money, labor/services, forced participation is harassing other members deemed to be a possible future threat to the Church, or just whatever!! His son, while this is going on, will be told that he is on a secret mission (being impressionable and easily influenced – BRAINWASHED) or that his family is now SP’s (Suppressive Persons – enemies of the Church) and he is not allowed to communicate with them, or just use your imagination!!

-These techniques used by the Church of Scientology could very easily drive a person, Rex in this case, into a state of CONFUSION, hence an inability to make proper and moral decisions and/or an inability to correctly identify the true enemy!! In this state he will grab onto anyone giving him direct guidance (the Scientology Church has always been a good source of direction up until now. It seems logical he would lean in favor of what they demand), hence a human weapon, if the case calls for it!!!

-Concerning Rex’s trial, if the Church of Scientology were to be slandered in court, us – the public/democracy would feel sorry for them and they would resurface stronger. However, if the Judge/Court protects the rights of the Church fully and allows them not to be scrutinized unfairly in the trial, but it is obvious that they were the underlying cause of it, we the public/democracy will deem Rex and Ciciano both martyrs and the Church of Scientology would be revealed as the true villain, but not sentenced. Hence, the Church of Scientology will sink because we/the-public/democracy will protest and demand enforced guidance over their future actions in order that these crimes don’t commence. Freedom of Religion doesn’t mean FREEDOM FROM THE LAW!!!

What do I know? I don’t know!! What is just is!!!

OF COURSE, THIS IS ALL JUST SPECULATION!!!!!!!!!!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] abuses in Los Angeles.  The full video of that press conference and the media coverage can be seen here.  The author of the New Yorker piece was interviewed recently on [...]

2. [...] previously mentioned Claire Headley’s case, but she wasn’t speaking at the Human Trafficking in Scientology Press Conference I went to two years ago because of that case. There was, however, a similar [...]

3. [...] The Headleys filed a lawsuit about human trafficking, and you can see part of their story at the Human Trafficking Press Conference. It was tough being in the audience of that conference, let me tell [...]